24. Identifying and Addressing Unconscious Bias in the Workplace w/ Angela Livingston
Sr. HR Business Partner
What is unconscious bias? Do you have one? Is there something ‘wrong’ with you if you do?
Let’s answer the second and third questions first: Yes, everyone does. And no, but it’s good to take the time to understand your own biases and work on them.
Now, to better understand the answer to the first question, we sat down with Angela Livingston, Sr. HR Business Partner at Cobham Advanced Electronic Solutions (CAES). She told us all about what unconscious bias in the workplace is—and why it’s important to understand our own biases in order to overcome them and not take action on them.
In this episode, we also talked about:
- How to know if you have an unconscious bias
- The difference between unconscious bias and racism
- How unconscious bias can impact HR, people management, and hiring processes
- Strategies to overcome or mitigate unconscious bias in the workplace
PS. Here’s the link to take the Harvard Implicit Association Test (IAT) Angela referenced.
Never miss an episode
Subscribe to be notified when new episodes air!